Musician Amanda Palmer learned to connect with patrons as a street performer, busking as the 8 foot tall bride. She believes that all musicians, writers, creatives need to learn to ask – for financial support, for gigs, for contracts. “The perfect tools aren’t going to help us if we can’t face each other and give and receive fearlessly, but more important, to ask without shame,” said Palmer in this Ted video performance. Though she no longer works as a street performer, she knows how to ask and connect. She encouraged fans to support her on Kickstarter and collected $1 million from 24,000 of them.
- Meet us on Livernois for so much creativity and connection
- Sydney G. James’ big, excellent advice for emerging artists
- Our Heroes: See them now at the Scarab Club in Midtown Detroit
- From justice to automakers to essential workers, Youth Arts Competition winners are diverse and creative
- Watch these five documentaries about artists who matter
Mint Shop categories
Subscribe to our blog