Musician Amanda Palmer learned to connect with patrons as a street performer, busking as the 8 foot tall bride. She believes that all musicians, writers, creatives need to learn to ask – for financial support, for gigs, for contracts. “The perfect tools aren’t going to help us if we can’t face each other and give and receive fearlessly, but more important, to ask without shame,” said Palmer in this Ted video performance. Though she no longer works as a street performer, she knows how to ask and connect. She encouraged fans to support her on Kickstarter and collected $1 million from 24,000 of them.
Mint Shop categories
- Heroes earn low wages and high praise – and ours show up in Grand Rapids
- How Frederick Douglass resonates today
- Mint Alumni Ackeem Salmon, artist, art teacher and so much more
- Get ahead: Create more art that seems more timely, ahead of time
- Good places to find wisdom and answers during these dark uncertain days
Subscribe to our blog